Horton, Nova Scotia



Horton,now Hantsport, was settled by the "New England Planters," who moved fromConnecticut and Rhode Island to Nova Scotia in 1760, following the expulsion of the Acadians.   Many families in the area trace their ancestry to the earliest settlers of New England.  The large, triangular bayjust north of Horton is the Minas Basin, which has some of the highesttides in the world.  Horton Bluff Light was established in 1851, atthe point where the Avon River opens into the Basin.  The sketch belowis from an 1860 navigation chart.

Sketch of original Horton Bluff light
The original lighthouse, a small white house with a three-sided bow window/dormer in which the light was placed, served from 1851 to 1883.  It was replaced by a tower with an attached house, which in turn was replaced by a modern concrete tower in 1984.
Lighthouse information and sketch courtesy of
Nova ScotiaLighthouse Preservation Society.
Go see the 1883lighthouse!

 
 
 
 


 

Home